Monday, May 06, 2013

Well



polished Rubies
they hang from two rusted fish hooks
pushed deep into the meaty flesh of your earlobes
the edges of the holes that were made where they pierced your skin
are crusted brown
Those rubies are the cleanest thing about you
and they glisten so brightly in the sun that I can see them
even from all the way down here
you come each day to smile your toothy grin down at me
I imagine each incisor
a piece of tobacco stained porcelain
that they are sunk
each one
into gums made from red clay
that same stinking red earth which surrounds me
I imagine it must rot inside your mouth
the roots that protrude from my thick soil walls
that those must grow out from under your tongue
like your words
You send them snaking down
too slow through the moldy earth to reach me
only to have them recoil before I might catch hold
and be pulled to safety.

No comments: